Elizabeth's Story: Almost Valentine's Day

Elizabeth's Story

...previously an update for friends & family about Elizabeth Hill and her fight against her childhood cancer acinar cell carcinoma of the pancreas
...now a place for remembering the fiesty princess she was.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Almost Valentine's Day

Sunday night was extremely tough. Elizabeth had a really bad episode where her eyes were open and she was non-responsive. Her pupils were fixed and dialated for 1-2 minutes, and she seemed to be gasping for breath. Her heartrate continued to be low (40s) and erratic for a couple of hours. Again, we were closer than we have ever been to losing her.

All Monday morning Michael and I spent with her, holding her and reading to her and talking to her. She wasn't really conscious most of the time, but during one period of alertness we were able to talk to her about what she is worried about. It turns out she doesn't want to go to heaven without us. There's not a whole lot we can say that will make that okay with her. But we did talk about how wonderful heaven is and how time there is different from time here. If she gets to heaven before we do, she won't even have time to miss us before we'll all be together again there. I told her it is like when the kids in Narnia go through the wardrobe and they are in Narnia for years and years, but when they go back home through the wardrobe again they have only been gone for a day. She understood that, but I'm not sure how much she believes it. She just doesn't want to leave us, and I can't blame her. I can't imagine being a little kid (even one as wise as she) and enduring so much pain, knowing that I may die and lose my parents and the only life I've ever known. Please pray for peace for her through this.

I'm getting better, and thanks to tons and tons of Sudafed I'm actually feeling alright. Hopefully the rest of the family stays well.

We think that Elizabeth's recent episodes may have been triggered by the increase in methadone. Looking back on the last time she was having similar symptoms (although she's never been fixed and dialated with non-responsive pupils like that--simply awful and scarey), it seemed to coincide with the last methadone increase. So this may just be another risk to increasing her pain meds to keep her as comfortable as possible. I don't know how many more increases her body can take if this is how it reacts every time, yet we certainly can't allow her to suffer in pain either. These just don't seem like "choices". I don't want to choose any of this. I hate cancer.

Elizabeth seemed to rest pretty comfortably over night. Of course, I was up constantly checking her vitals and blood sugars trying to stay sane. She was stable all night, heartrate back to 80s-90s and steady. She slept with the oxygen on and was at 99-100 saturation levels all night, which hopefully helps to refresh her body.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Who would have ever guessed that we would make it this far? Please pray that it is a happy time for us and gives us another chance to share our love with Elizabeth and the boys. Pray that we have happy memories of Valentine's Day so that future Valentine's days can be somewhat happy.

Happy Valentine's Day.

14 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know what to say. I hate cancer too!!!!!!! I'm so sorry this is happening.
Praying for a wonderful Valentines...
Love and Prayers,
Megan and Tanner

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there!

I keep praying for all of your family every moment I think of Elizabeth (quite a lot during the day). I check her blog spot in the morning, at noon and in the afternoon before I leave work to see if there are any updates. I do pray that Elizabeth can have no more pain, for peace in her heart and soul, and for confort about leaving a wonderful family, and a great mom who has giving everything to make her as happy as possible. I hug my two little girls and pray for strength for mom, because knowing that this beautiful princess you gave birth to, is suffering and struggling for life and you are helpless to any of it all. I want to visit you again so much, but I'm afrain I will not be able to hold my self together and you all do not need to see this. I stay apart, pray and cry when can not hold it. Please give her my love and I will continue to pray for strength for all of you.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray you continue to have more time with Elizabeth and that you can regulate her pain and still keep her awake enough to enjoy the time you have together.

With you all in my thoughts and prayers,
Christina

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines day.
I hope you will enjoy some wonderful time together! And Elizabeth will be okay.


I keep you in my thougths always.
I like the way you explain, with narnia. Elizabeth, you are truly a princess.

Hugs, and lot of love.

Trine

 
At 5:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still praying for you all and asking others to do the same. I pray and wish and hope that this Valentine's Day brings you love and joy from an awake and alert Princess Elizabeth. I'm still not giving up on a miracle and praying for it daily. This is not only a "comment" but my arms wrapped around you for a brief moment. Love and hugs, Angel Tina, MA

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy valentines day princess elizabeth!
From Trish in Canada

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am praying for all of you.
Love,
Lis/Angel Wings;

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for your comfort.
Peace be with you!

 
At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I check your blog several times a day to check on Princess Elizabeth, and I am truly at a loss for words at this point. I pray that Elizabeth gets the peace she needs, and that you and your family embrace the time you have with her. I wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day, and I'm saying a special prayer too for her brothers, who too have seen and handled so much in their short little lives.

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in our prayers.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Valentine's Day.....I think of you everyday sweet Elizabeth. I am praying there will be a miracle and that you and your family will have peace.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I continue to pray for your Sweetheart Elizabeth and to hold on to the hope for a miracle. Much love!

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

praying and praying for you and your family.

-beth : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home