Elizabeth's Story: Elizabeth is home

Elizabeth's Story

...previously an update for friends & family about Elizabeth Hill and her fight against her childhood cancer acinar cell carcinoma of the pancreas
...now a place for remembering the fiesty princess she was.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Elizabeth is home

Today we were discharged from CHLA to go home. We will be back for lab draws on Monday because we requested it. As much as we know that Elizabeth will not see a cure (save for a God given miracle), we are just having such a difficult time turning our backs and giving up on doing everything we can (which includes transfusions or antibiotics when necessary) to keep her as healthy as possible. There can sometimes be an air of "why bother--it's not going to help the big problem" and we aren't expecting her tumors to go away or even be treatable, but we want to treat everything else that we can, if for nothing else than to keep her as comfortable as possible. Her little body doesn't need to fight anything more than it already is facing, and modern medicine can still help some things (like infections or low red blood cells) even if it can't help what she needs most (a cure for cancer). We met with Trinity Kids, the best kids' hospice group for our area, and have their information when we are ready to go that route.

The question I have been struggling with most since Tuesday (the dreaded CT scan day, January 2nd) is if we have to lose her, when will it be? Unfortunately, that is one question that no matter how educated a guess the docs (or anyone else) make, they just don't know the answer. It could be days, it could be a few weeks, and the reality is that we may not even have any warning. She could turn for the worse and it could be sudden, or we may know it is inevitable for a couple days.

We have been told that there's nothing else to do to treat her cancer before... but this is truly the worst and furthest along the cancer has been. Elizabeth has fought so hard and for so long. I want her here with me but I don't want her to suffer, either.

Please pray for us. We need strength and guidance like never before. Or better yet, pray that Elizabeth is still granted the miracle of a cure on earth.

Just a note, Elizabeth asked to stop at the Griffith Park Carousel on our way home from the hospital. We did. I held Elizabeth's frail body wrapped in blankets as we sat with Dad on the carousel bench (she didn't feel like riding a horse, and I'm not sure she physically could have even if she wanted) for three ride arounds until she wanted off to get a snow cone, which she licked three times before being done with. All summer she would ask to stop at the carousel after hospital stays or blood draws. It was her post-hospital ritual, whether with Dad or me. I will never forget how her head smelled against me or how her small body felt cuddled in my arms. God I want her to live so badly.

Thank you to everyone who has been signing Elizabeth's map and caringbridge guestbook and leaving comment entries here. Your kind words and support mean so much to us. Thank you to all our friends and family who are making sacrifices so they can help us and support us. Thank you for all your phone calls and voicemail messages and prayers and hospital visits. We feel so blessed to be surrounded by so many people who are ready and willing to drop everything at a moment's notice to help us. I am continually being amazed at how many people are stepping up to help in the last few weeks. It is such a paradox to feel so blessed to have so many who care and are touched by Elizabeth, to feel so lucky to have Elizabeth in our lives, and yet feel so utterly miserable at the recent scan results and her cancer's control.

Is it so wrong to still hope for the unrealistic, the improbable, the impossible? I keep asking myself if I'm just kidding myself and setting myself up for utter and complete disappointment. Really, if cancer claims Elizabeth's young life, there will be no worse feeling--whether I'm expecting it or not. Right or wrong, for now, I'm choosing hope.

6 Comments:

At 3:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Elizabeth and family.

I have now been following your story for maybe a around a half year.

I hope Elizabeth enjoy her time at home. I know, you are going though a diffult time, right now, but I know, you always will do the best thing. And do you know what? There will always be a hope.

Hugs and love,
Trine

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Jan said...

Dear Hill Family,

I just want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers and that I care!

HOPE is the thing that gets us through each day and shows how much love you have! Don't ever lose it!

Love and Blessings,
Jan Wilder
(Chemo Angels)

Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always HOPEFUL, and endures through every circumstance.

~1 Corinthians 13:7 (NLT)



But those who HOPE in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

~Isaiah 40:31


For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you HOPE and a future.

~Jeremiah 29:11

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are praying for you all and wishing you the warmth of God's love during this tough time. Elizabeth is an angel that has brought faith and hope to everyone around her. Although it seems like it may be hard to hold onto right now, remember that hope floats. All our love,

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been following your story since the beginning, and my thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. God does everything for a reason, and I believe that Elizabeth truly is an angel here on earth. I'm gratefly He's shared her with you.

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Princess Elizabeth,
We follow your website from all the way across the country in Virginia. Please know that we are storming heaven with prayers for you and your family. You are the bravest Princess we know.
Hugs,
The Hudson Family

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Princess Elizabeth -
You are such a precious girl. My daughter loved the Disney Princesses like you do - aren't they beautiful! Just like my girl, I hope you imagine yourself dressed in the beautiful gowns and loving every moment of being honored. You deserve to feel special!
Elizabeth - I am praying for you and your wonderful parents and family. You are an amazing daughter for them. I pray that God will surround you with His goodness and love. Hugs to you and your family!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home